In this brief introduction, I will discuss the issue of “Fix ShellExecuteEx failed code 1155 on Windows 7” from a first-person perspective. We will explore the possible causes and solutions for this error, aiming to troubleshoot and resolve it effectively.
Common Causes of the “Shellexecuteex Failed” Error on Windows
- Check for corrupt system files:
- Open the Command Prompt as an administrator by pressing Windows Key + X and selecting Command Prompt (Admin).
- Type sfc /scannow and press Enter to initiate the System File Checker scan.
- Wait for the scan to complete and fix any corrupt system files found.
- Restart your computer and check if the “Shellexecuteex Failed” error persists.
- Press the Windows Key and type Windows Update.
- Click on Windows Update Settings to open the Windows Update menu.
- Click on Check for updates and wait for Windows to search for available updates.
- If updates are found, click on Install now and follow the on-screen instructions to update your system.
- Restart your computer after the updates are installed and check if the error is resolved.
- Press Windows Key + R to open the Run dialog box.
- Type msconfig and press Enter to open the System Configuration window.
- In the General tab, select Selective startup and uncheck Load startup items.
- Go to the Services tab and check the Hide all Microsoft services box.
- Click on Disable all to disable all third-party services.
- Go to the Startup tab and click on Open Task Manager.
- Disable all startup programs by selecting them and clicking on Disable.
- Close Task Manager and click on OK in the System Configuration window.
- Restart your computer and check if the error still occurs.
- Press Windows Key + X and select Apps and Features.
- Locate the application that is causing the error and click on it.
- Click on Uninstall and follow the on-screen instructions to remove the application.
- Restart your computer after the uninstallation is complete.
- Download the latest version of the application from the official website or a trusted source.
- Install the application and check if the error is resolved.
- Press Windows Key + R to open the Run dialog box.
- Type rstrui and press Enter to open the System Restore window.
- Click on Next and select a restore point prior to experiencing the “Shellexecuteex Failed” error.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to restore your system.
- After the restoration process is complete, check if the error has been fixed.
Methods to Resolve the “Shellexecuteex Failed” Error on Windows
- Close all open programs and files.
- Click on the Start button.
- Select the Power icon.
- Choose Restart from the options.
Method 2: Run a System File Checker Scan
- Press the Windows key and type Command Prompt in the search bar.
- Right-click on the Command Prompt result and select Run as administrator.
- In the Command Prompt window, type sfc /scannow and press Enter.
- Wait for the scan to complete and follow any on-screen instructions.
- Restart the computer after the scan finishes.
Method 3: Perform a Clean Boot
- Press the Windows key and type msconfig in the search bar.
- Open the System Configuration window.
- Under the General tab, select Selective startup.
- Uncheck the box next to Load startup items.
- Go to the Services tab and check the box next to Hide all Microsoft services.
- Click on Disable all to disable non-Microsoft services.
- Click OK and then Restart when prompted.
Method 4: Update Windows and Device Drivers
- Press the Windows key and type Windows Update in the search bar.
- Open Windows Update settings.
- Click on Check for updates and install any available updates.
- After updating Windows, press the Windows key and type Device Manager in the search bar.
- Open Device Manager.
- Expand the categories and right-click on each device.
- Select Update driver and follow the on-screen instructions.
- Restart the computer after updating all device drivers.
Running the Application as Administrator (if applicable)
To run the application as an administrator in order to fix the “ShellExecuteEx failed code 1155” error on Windows 7, follow these steps:
1. Locate the application file or shortcut that you want to run as administrator.
2. Right-click on the file or shortcut to open the context menu.
3. From the context menu, select “Run as administrator.”
4. If prompted by User Account Control (UAC), click “Yes” to give consent for the application to run with administrative privileges.
5. The application will now run with elevated permissions, which may help resolve the “ShellExecuteEx failed code 1155” error.
Please note that not all applications require administrator privileges to run properly. Only run an application as administrator if it is necessary for its functionality or if you are troubleshooting an issue.
Remember to exercise caution when running applications as administrator, as it grants them higher privileges and can potentially affect the security and stability of your system.
If the error persists even when running the application as administrator, you may need to explore other troubleshooting steps or seek further assistance from technical support or online forums.
For more detailed instructions or additional troubleshooting options, refer to the Windows documentation or consult the application’s vendor or developer.
Performing a Clean Install or Clean Boot to Fix the “Shellexecuteex Failed” Error on Windows
To fix the “Shellexecuteex Failed” error on Windows 7, you can perform a clean install or a clean boot.
1. Back up your important files and data.
2. Insert your Windows 7 installation disc or USB drive and restart your computer.
3. Follow the on-screen instructions to boot from the installation media.
4. Select your language preferences, and click “Install Now.”
5. Accept the license terms and click “Next.”
6. Choose the “Custom (advanced)” installation option.
7. Select the drive where you want to install Windows 7, and click “Next.”
8. Follow the remaining on-screen instructions to complete the installation.
1. Press the Windows key + R to open the Run command.
2. Type “msconfig” and press Enter.
3. In the System Configuration window, go to the “Services” tab.
4. Check the box that says “Hide all Microsoft services.”
5. Click “Disable all” to disable all third-party services.
6. Go to the “Startup” tab and click “Open Task Manager.”
7. In Task Manager, disable all startup items by right-clicking on each item and selecting “Disable.”
8. Close Task Manager and go back to the System Configuration window.
9. Click “OK” and restart your computer.
10. Test if the “Shellexecuteex Failed” error is resolved.
Performing a clean install or clean boot can help you resolve the “Shellexecuteex Failed” error on Windows 7. It’s important to back up your files before proceeding with a clean install. If the issue persists, you may need to seek further assistance or consult Microsoft support.